Friday, February 6, 2009

It Takes a Village to Raise a Child


How true is that! So how many villages does it take to raise three children?

Just after Jim and I decided we would do in-vitro, Crystal and Amber came over and we were playing Scrabble. We talked about the process of in-vitro fertilization. Amber volunteered to give me the trigger shot (the one that you have to take 36 hours prior to egg retreival so the eggs can get a boost). Unfortunately, this shot needs to take place at approximately 3:00am and Jim was working. I went to the doctor's office. Had the nurse practitioner draw a bullseye on my back side. The alarm went off at 3:00 sharp and she stuck me with that giant needle.

During our Scrabble game, I asked Crystal if she would move in with us and help us if we had more than one baby. I'm sure she thought I was joking. I was not. Joking.

After I was placed on bed-rest at about 26 weeks, she moved in and took Jocelyn to school and picked her up everyday for two months. Once Sophia came home she took care of her so that Jim and I could spend time with Spencer in the hospital. When Spencer came home after 59 days, Crystal stayed up with at least one baby every night that Jim worked and then got up and went to work herself.

After everyone was deemed "happy and healthy" by the-powers-that-be, she helped in every way that she could. Watching the babies (and Jocelyn) while I fixed dinner, washed bottles, made formula, packed lunches, showered, cleaned, went grocery shopping, napped, did laundry and all the one million other things that are necessary to run a household.

Now, after over a year. She's moving out. Back to her house. Back to her life that she so selflessly left to help me in my time of need.

Thank you Crystal. I honestly don't know how we could have survived this last 16 months without you! My mom would be so proud to know how much you have helped us during some of the most stressful times of our lives. I love you!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't know that Crystal was living with you guys. I also didn't know how you were able to do it all, so that makes more sense. I'm glad that everyone is doing so well now that you don't need so much help, and also glad that you had it when you needed it.
xo

The Whyte House said...

What an amazing story. You are v. blessed to have someone so wonderful in your life helping you out. Is she your sister?

Mandy said...

Can I move in now that you've got a spare room?!
That was a sweet post :)