Random Stranger: Oh, how cute, are they twins?
Me: Um, yes (did the double stroller and exact identical weight give it away?).
Random Stranger: Are you breastfeeding?
Me: (nervously shifting weight from foot to foot) Um, no.
Random Stranger: It is possible to breastfeed twins, you know.
Me: Really? Thanks, but we'll stick to the special million dollar formula since the boy here had a some serious intestinal problems and couldn't eat AT ALL for almost the first two months of his life.
Random Stranger #2: Oh, how cute, are they twins?
Me: Um, yes.
Random Stranger #2: We sit next to twins at bingo.
Me: Oh, well, that's kind of the same thing. Have a nice day.
Random Stranger #3: Oh, how cute, are they twins?
Me: Um, yes.
Random Stranger #3: Did you have a vaginal delivery? (seriously, she asked about my vaj!?).
Me: Um, no.
(meaningless conversation occurred here between me and Random Stranger #3)
Random Stranger #3: Did your doctor tell you that you had to have a c-section just because you had one before?
Me: Um, I have to go. I think they're getting hungry.
And, my personal favorite (and I get this one a lot)...
Random Stranger #4: Oh, how cute, are they twins?
Me: Um, yes.
Random Stranger #4: Are they identical?
Me: They're boy/girl (hence the blue and pink outfits, I always thought this was a dead giveaway).
Random Stranger #4: You can have identical boy/girl twins. (Seriously)?
Me: Um, I have to go. I think they're getting hungry (both babies sleeping peacefully in their stroller).
So, here's a basic lesson in identical vs. fraternal twins:
IDENTICAL: One egg splits into two eggs. Identical twins twins occur when one egg is fertilized by one sperm and then splits. Identical twins have exactly the same DNA. Identical twins can only be the SAME sex. You can not have boy/girl identical twins.
FRATERNAL: (If you're slow, this one is Spencer and Sophia). Fraternal twins are created when two eggs are fertilized by two separate sperm to create two embryos.
Here are the diagrams if you're still confused, maybe you're just a visual learner, that's ok:


1 comment:
OMG they are twins?
Post a Comment