At about this time last year, I contemplated putting Jocelyn in Kindergarten early. She falls in between the cutoff age and I do really think she is very smart. However, I was concerned about her social development. She tends to see school as a social environment, which I suppose is true for all 4 to 5-year-olds, I guess. My decision to wait another year, was confirmed this evening.We attended the Kindergarten Open House where you can tour the classrooms and meet the teachers and ask questions about the curriculum, etc. We weren't there for 5 minutes before Jocelyn was rolling on the floor, running round the room, and playing hide-and-go-seek with another kindergartner-to-be.
One of the potential teachers spoke to her and told her that running was not allowed in the classroom. Jim had to intervene as Jocelyn walked away while the teacher was talking to her and explain that she was being spoken to. We tried our best to wrangle our potential academic superstar.
We left early, though. Jocelyn left the classroom and proceeded to throw a full on tantrum in the hallway. She didn't want to leave, nor did she want to follow the rules. We carried her out kicking and screaming. Ugh. I didn't even have a chance to ask all my curriculum questions! I suppose a meeting with the principal is in our near future. Yes, I'm one of "those" parents who requests personal meetings with the principal.
Here is a video of one of her most recent melt-downs. If you can imagine this times about 100, add a complete and total embarassment factor, and you will have a clear picture of our evening.
Good luck Ms./Mr. Whoever Will be Jocelyn's Teacher Next Year!
4 comments:
See mommies do know best :)
She will do just fine...plus peer pressure is a marvelous thing...or you will really be on a first name basis with the principal. lol
Lol, sweet, now I won't feel so bad when my kid behaves the same way (or worse) on open house day :)
Colton threw a tantrum at the park the other day because he wanted his (white) blanket while he played. I put my foot down (the mom can do that, right?) and took it away and he let everyone know how upset he was, even super nanny with the stepford twins wearing pressed spring time dresses with bows. We were there 2 mins before I had to carry him kicking and screaming to the car.
Oh honey, that is nothin'. That is crying, not a melt down.
I am curious about kindergarden out there. I am not happy with the first grade so far here. I liked Claire's parochial kinder. That school was the best. Sad it had to close..
Oh, my big issue with the school curricula is that there is WAY to much unsupervised "center time". The days I volunteer, I am exhausted after an hour. These poor kids have no direction. They need some help getting their work done. They need either instruction or validation. I was so upset I almost pulled her to home school. It is an hour and a half of craziness in there. (ok I am calm now)
Post a Comment