Thursday, April 30, 2009

It's Tinkle Time!

Having twins is difficult and challenging and rewarding in so many ways that a lot of people can't even imagine. One of the hardest things NOT to do is to compare their development against one another. I hear it all the time, from friends, from family, from doctors. I know, I know. Spencer spent the first two months of his life fighting to survive which left him little or no time to learn and grow and develop. Sophia, on the other hand was rolling over by the time Spencer came home from the hospital.

She has, since day one, done everything before Spencer. She crawled first, she walked first, she talked first, she hit first, she bit first, she had tantrums first and on and on and on.

Tonight, Spencer had his very own first major milestone! He pee-peed on the potty! I couldn't be more proud.


I needed a box to send Dorie's birthday present in. I had a box with a potty training toilet in it and I thought that would be kind of funny since she doesn't have babies (c'mon Dorie, just one more, pretty please?). Thankfully she gets my sense of humor and all was good. I just had this potty sitting around that I didn't think we were ready to use yet. So I put it in the bathroom and at bathtime, I would put Sophia on the big potty and Spencer on the little potty and just make them sit there for a minute or two before getting in the bath.

I would talk in a baby voice and say "go pee-pee in the potty" while pointing at their area then at the water. Then, "go potty. psssssssssssss." Nothing.

Took their diapers off tonight, though, and Spencer peed right into the potty. He was also pointing at his area saying "psssssssss."

Yeah! We made a big deal out of it. Lots of hugs and kisses. I poured it into the big toilet and let him flush the toilet then he clapped his hands together and said "yeah." Which really sounds more like "ay."

All of this happens, of course while my camera is downstairs. I had to run down and get it and have him sit on the potty to try to re-create the moment. This is the best I could do. . .

No comments: