Sunday, March 1, 2009

There's Nothing Like a Fast Acting NICU Team to Bring Two People Together...

Grab a box of tissues and click here to see Chloe's story.

Marla: Ohmigod! I love that bag. Where did you get it?
Mandy: I got it at Target, it was only like $19.99. It's the perfect pumping bag.
And a friendship was formed...


The only thing I can imagine that's worse than the 59 days that Spencer spent in the NICU is the 102 days that Chloe spent there.

Mandy and I met while our babies fought to survive the first many many many weeks of their lives. There were three constants while I visited the NICU. Spencer, Chloe and Mandy. There is nothing like watching your baby fight to survive and although we were both there for our babies, we were unintentionally there for eachother. Mandy had two other girls at home that she needed to get off to school and home again before she could come to the NICU. I would drop Jocelyn off at school and then head over to spend the day with Spencer. Every footstep I heard, I would look for that familiar face. That bright red hair and that glowing face that would bring me a smile during my time of turmoil.

When a NICU neighbor, Orion had left this world, we were devistated. People say to focus on your baby, don't pay attention to the baby in the next room (which is just a curtain closed that you can completely see through and hear the sobbing of the grief-stricken parents).

I remember the day that Orion left us. I was in the pumping room and I heard sobbing in the next room (curtain) over. I looked below the curtain and saw Mandy's familiar sandals... I could hear her crying for the baby who had left us. Somehow knowing that she felt as guilty as I did that our own babies were still fighting to make their place in this world when one didn't even get a chance.

I remember the first day that Mandy got to hold her precious Chloe...

But, most of all, I remember the strength that Mandy gave me. Day in and day out, for 59 days. Most people would say that that's not a long time. And I would agree. Now. However, when you're in the middle of it, not knowing the outcome, each minute is absolutely tortorous. Thank you Mandy. And thank you Chloe for showing us the true meaning of "fighting to survive." Chloe and Spencer created a friendship that I'm sure will last a lifetime...

And, by the way. My blackberry tells me your birthday is tomorrow, Mandy. I wish you the best. In the future, I wish you a cake filled with 102 candles. I love you Mandy! And although they were some of the worst days of my life. Those 59 days would have been 100 times worse without you there, holding my hand. Holding my other baby so I could FINALLY feed one. And letting me peek in at the glowing wonder of Chloe, although I know you didn't want anyone to touch that cover...

You and Chloe are wonderful girls. And we are lucky to have you as part of our lives.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

MARLA! You are the best. This made me cry.....seriously you are amazing. I miss you...There is no way that I could have handled that time in the NiCu without you (and God, but you guys are like two peas baby). Thanks for the Birthday shout out. It was a day of doctor/pulseox/drugs...just like the old days. I think I'll celebrate my Bday next month when Chloe is better :)

The Whyte House said...

That is an amazing story! What a journey you both were on together. Your kids are so adorable and so is Chloe. Blessings all around!